Education & Training
- Undergraduate: University of Michigan
- Medical School: Wayne State University
- Residency: Rush University Medical Center
Membership & Associations
- American Association of Neurosurgeons (AANS)
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS)
Meet Kirk Jobe, MD
Dr. Jobe attended the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan, earning a high honors bachelor of science degree with a double major in cellular molecular biology. After attending medical school and surgical internship at Wayne State University School of Medicine, he completed neurosurgical residency with an enfolded fellowship in functional neurosurgery at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago, IL, where his chairman was Leonard J Cerullo known for his definitive text titled Application Of Lasers In Neurosurgery. During his training, he was mentored by Richard G Fessler, MD, who was instrumental in proving the efficacy and safety of minimally invasive spinal surgery in the late 90’s prior to its popularization in the new millennium. During his training, Dr. Jobe twice received the neurosurgery resident teaching award.
In 2005, he was recruited to Brain2Spine Institute as a specialist in epilepsy surgery. While practicing general neurosurgery with expertise in the areas of the skull base, brain, and spinal tumors, he currently participates as the chief surgeon at one of the only five level IV epilepsy centers in the state of Florida. He acts as co-director of the Minimally Invasive Skull Base Center at St. Anthony’s Hospital, treating some of the most complex skull base tumors through the narrow corridor of the patient’s nostril. He practices at Bayfront Health St. Petersburg, and St. Anthony’s Hospital.
He currently is the only neurosurgeon in Pinellas County with specialized training to perform cyberknife radiosurgery, a useful alternative to traditional open-brain surgery. He has published numerous scholarly articles including topics on epilepsy, deep brain stimulation, spinal surgery, microsurgery and cerebral aneurysms. He has published two book chapters in the Atlas of Neurosurgical Techniques, Spine and Peripheral Nerve, Richard G. Fessler and Laligam N. Sekhar editors, Theime 2006. He is the winner of the Association of American Publishers Best Book in Clinical Medicine, 2006. He is also featured in Highly Commended in Surgery by British Medical Association, 2007.
Watch Doctor Interview
Patient Testimonials About Kirk Jobe, MD
- Boco T, Jobe K W, O’Leary ST, Byrne RW, Whisler WW. The history of neurological surgery at rush university medical center. Neurosurgery. 201 0 Oct; 67(4):1 036-43.
- Byrne RW, Jobe K W, Smith MC, Kanner A, Bergen DC, Palac SM, Balabanov AJ, Ajiboye NA, Takagi I, W hisler WW. Epidural cylinder electrodes for presurgical evaluation of intractable epilepsy: technical note. Surgical Neurol. 2008 Aug;70(2): 160-4; discussion 164. Epub 2008 Feb 8
- Sani S, Jobe K, Smith A, Kordowcr JI-I, Bakay RA. Deep brain stimulation for treatment of obesity in rats. J Neurosurg. 2007 Oct;1 07(4):809-1 3.
- Sani S, Jobe KW, Byrne RW. Successful repair of an intracranial nail-gun injury involving the parietal region and the superior sagittal sinus. Case report. J Neurosurg. 2005 Sep; 103(3):567-9
- Sani S, Jobe KW, Kordower J, Bakay RAE: Deep Brain Stimulation for the Treatment of Obesity in the Rat. American Association of Neurological Surgeons Annual Meeting. April. 2005.
- Sani S, Jobe K W, Lopes DL: Treatment of ·wide-necked cerebral aneurysms with the Neuroform2 Treo stent. A prospective 6-month study. Neurosurg Focus. 2005 Feb 15; 18(2):E4.
- Lad SP, Jobe K W, Polley J, Byrne RW: Munchauscn’s Syndrome in Neurosurgery: Report of two cases and a Review of the Literature. Neurosurgery. 55(6): 1436, December 2004
- Ferguson RL, Jobe K W: A Qu iet Hand for Microneurosurgery – Twiddle your Thumb. J Neurosurgery 101 :541 -544, 2004
- Cokluk, C, Jobe K W, Iyigun O Senel A: Use of intraoperative ultrasonography during surgical repair of paediatric cystic spinal dysraphism. Neurologia Medico-Chirurgica. Vol 44, No 9, Sept 2004
- Byrne R, Lad NP, Jobe K , Kanner A, Smith M: Management of Incidental, Unruptured Aneurysms in Temporal Lobe Epilepsy Surgery. American Association of Neurological Surgeons Annual Meeting. Apri l, 2004.
- Byrne RW, Kanner A, Smith MC, Jobe K, Bergen D, Palac S, Balabanov, A, Hoeppner T, DeToledo-Morrel l L, Lad N, Whisler, W: Medically intractable temporal lobe epilepsy: surgical outcome in 24 consecutive patients with normal M RI. Neurosurgical Society of America, Santa Fe, 2004.
- Jobe K, Byrne R: Post-Surgical Seizure Outcome and Neuropathological Findings in Patients with Refractory Temporal Lobe Epilepsy and A Normal MRI. American Society for Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery Quadrennial Meeting. New York, N Y. May 2003.
- Trent L. Tredway, MD; Kirk W. Jobe, MD; Lorenzo F. R. Munoz, MD; Demetrius K. Lopes, MD. Continuous Intravenous Magnesium Sulfate in Patients with Subarachnoid Hemorrhage: A Retrospective Analysis : Congress of Neurological Surgeons Annual Meeting 2003
- Kirk W. Jobe, and Kevin V. Kelly, Trent L. Tredway, An anatomical analysis of the feasibility of C1 lateral mass screw fixation in cadavers – Abstract, CNS meeting 2003, Denver, CO
- Tredway T, Jobe K, Byrne R: Recurrence of Germinoma along the Operative Tract. Congress of Neurological Surgeons Annual Meeting. Oct. 2003
- Lawrence Ferguson M.D., Kirk W Jobe M.D. A Quiet Hand for Microneurosurgery Abstract, AANS meeting 2003, San Diego, CA
- Kirk W Jobe M.D., Trent Tredway M.D., Demetrius K Lopes, M.D. Evaluation of Covered Stent Performance in a Novel Human Cadaveric Model – Abstract, CNS meeting 2002, Philadelphia, PA
- Kirk W Jobe, Pediatric Head Injury, Presentation at Neuro-Odyssey, RPSLMC, Oct 2001
- Kirk W Jobe, MD, “Posterior Exposure and Release of Locked/Perched Facets” in Fessler RO, Sekhar LN (eds) Atlas of Neurosurgical Techniques, February 28, 2006 1 ISBN-10:0865779872 1 ISBN-13: 978-0865779877
- Kirk W Jobe, MD, “Cervical Spine Degenerative Disease and Cervical Stenosis” in Fessler RG,Sekhar LN (eds) Atlas of Neurosurgical Techniques, February 28, 2006 ISBN- 10: 0865779872 1 ISBN-13: 978-0865779877
- JM Bonneau, SE Shore, KW Jobe, RH Helfert, RA Altschuler. Neurotransmitters of Inputs from the Dorsal to the Ventral Cochlear Nucleus of the Guinea Pig. (Abstract – NIDCD grant DC00383)
- Kirk W Jobe. Construction of an Expression Vector for Anabaena variablis Plastacyanin in E. coli. Honors Thesis in Chemistry, U of M -Ann Arbor, 1993:126 pages